Friday, June 18, 2010

Being Aleks

...is my latest scrappy creation. The Autism in Their Own Words essay/poem inspired my work - it's for a cyber crop challenge for the Scrapbooking Top 50 Australia forum - this months these is 'Wings'. the criteria for this challenge was to use the quote "Until you spread your wings you have no idea how far you can fly" - unknown; and include meaningful journalling and flowers.

Again I created a sketch to start with...



And then got to work on my layout....



Some of the finer details.... Firstly the flowers which were a prize for a product giveaway in last months cyber crop. They arrived courtesy of Mr Postie just as I was heading out the door to purchase some after I decided the ones I was looking at using last night just wouldn't work!!! Talk about great timing!!!!



And this little creation took most of my spare time yesterday to make. It folds out and houses the whole essay...


The front of it has the first and last stanza's. I've bolded certain parts that I want Aleks to really take with him.

"I have autism.
I hold only a few similarities
to the character in “Rain Man.”

When I am out on the playground,
never say to my mother,
“I would have never guessed that;

he looks so normal”
The face of autism is not a defined one.

I often hear people say to my mum,
“It must be so hard for you”
– no one ever says that to me.
In fact, no one expects me to understand or respond
because of the face society has painted autism to be.
I do not know all that autism is, but I know who I am.
I am special, and cherished.
Almost like a superhero
I was set aside to have these unique abilities.
They are not a disability.

They are not something to fear.
In a way they are magical.
I have unlocked parts of my brain that others cannot.


When you look at me, don’t look at me
with sadness or feel sorry for me.
Look at me with wonderment and
I will amaze you every time."

He is such a special young man, so unique and one of a kind - but he doesn't see that, I hope in time he will...


Yes, the whole essay/poem is really that long!!! I backed it with some double sided paper so there is no plain paper on display - it needed to be pretty ;)



So there you have it. My special page for my special man :) Aleks loved it too - he was feeling left out as apparently his siblings have more photo's scrapped than he has!!! Trust him to keep count hehehe. I love the way it has turned out - but the perfectionist in me sees a few faults I wish I could fix, but I know if I touch it the paper would rip or do something weird on me so best to leave it alone ;)

Now onto challenge 2... something even more personal for me... I might share - depending how it turns out....

2 comments:

Kakka said...

WOW - you are the scrapping queen. I just love that page. You should put all your ideas together as a pdf and sell them online. So creative.

Jane Smith said...

This is beautiful...love your journaling for Alex! Just beautiful.