Sunday, July 18, 2010

It's VSD!!!!

and what I hear you ask is VSD???


VIRTUAL

SCONE

DAY!!!



it's a day that an online miscarriage support group I chat to on Essential Baby made up :) Someone was talking about scones and sharing her recipe (which I couldn't use as I don't have baking powder - we're still re-building our pantry supplies from moving) and the idea was formed that we all bake some scones, sit down and have a cuppa and a chat - we're having a virtual scone day, a virtual meeting - but with real scones... hmmm did that all make sense???


Anyways, I baked my scones - and they were the best scones I've ever made!! So light, fluffy and yummo!!! I've a couple in the pantry for Nathan when he gets home, I don't think they'll be there when he gets here though hahaha The kids are eyeing them off as well LOL Seriously - these scones were sooo light, I'm really proud of them :)

So from me to you - Happy VSD :) Here is a piccie of my delights from this morning and the recipe if you wish to make them yourself :) - oh yes, I had to go tweak an ancient recipe for scones hahaha but the little 'tweak' makes them soooo light and fluffy (yes I'm really chuffed hey haha)




Old Fashioned Scones

3c SR Flour
1/4 tsp salt
125g Butter (use real butter, not marg - the result is worth ti!)
1 c Milk
1 tsp Baking Soda

* Pre-heat oven to 200*C

* Sift all dry ingredients together.

* Rub in butter, use the tips of your fingers rather than your palms to avoid the butter from melting. Rub until it appears to be super fine breadcrumbs

* Make well in mixture and pour in milk. Combine with a metal knife.

* When mostly combined gently place onto lightly floured surface and bring mixture together - DO NOT KNEAD TOO MUCH!! If you overwork the dough they will be come tough.

* Cut using scone cutter or if you don't have one a floured glass will suffice.

* Place on tray lined with baking paper. Place scones quite close together - not quite touching, this will help them grow tall rather than out during the cooking process.

* Bake 15-20 mins in a hot oven (200*C)

* Once cooked, place in a bowl lined with a tea towel to cool. While warm enjoy spread with butter, when cool these are delicious spread with jam and topped with a dollop of lightly whipped cream :)

Oh and as my family say - Never cut a cooked scone with a knife - it kills the scone :P

No comments: