Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Blown away...

I'm done, totally lost for words and feel physically ill for a good friend of mine. I've only met her once in real life but we've chatted for hours online and have become reasonably close.

She found out she was expecting baby #4 not long after I found out I was pregnant with Domenik. Unfortunately her baby was not doing too well in utero and at 32 (I think memory failing me) weeks they had to take little Sarah. Precious little Sarah was super tiny for her gestation - less than 800grams, apparently the size of a 25 week gestation baby. She is now 6 weeks old, has come through major surgery with flying colours but has always had hurdles to overcome - one of those being fluctuating blood sugars.

Well today my friend received the news no parent every wants to receive - Little Sarah may not make it. I hate putting that in writing - it makes it more real to read it!!! She has neonate diabetes and has no pancreas. This means she can't digest food properly as the pancreas produces the enzymes necessary to digest food. There is medicines you can take to assist with this and she has been on them, but the combination of the diabetes with this make her outlook very grim.

I've spent most of the evening in tears since finding out their sad news. I feel so helpless being in Tassie and they're in Victoria. I wish i could be closer so I could help out - even if just looking after their older kids for a little bit, to take her out to coffee. but nope, distance puts a kibosh on that :( I hate feeling helpless. I guess she is too in a way, they have no definite answer as to if/when Sarah will deteriorate or what exactly her future holds for her. It must be so terrifying for her... I wish , I wish so many things I can't articulate it....

Please anyone reading here send a little prayer up for Sarah - even if you're not religious, she need anything you can offer... She's already a little miracle child, we just need one more miracle for her to stay on earth with her mummy, daddy and siblings a little longer...

Kat, Mick and Family - we're thinking and praying hard for you and your precious little baby....


1 comment:

handinhandaus said...

Praying for sweet little Sarah