Sunday, August 8, 2010

Slowly Becoming South Australian....

Well it's happening... they are draining the Tasmania out of the little Taswegian.. slowly but surely all signs of our previous existence are being drained away... being replaced with a new stamp of ownership - that of being South Australia.

I have now received my confirmation that we are registered to vote as South Australians!!!!

I'm still resisting changing my license - although that has to be done within the month **sob** then will be our registration of the car... then **sob** all outwards signs of us being Tasmanian will be goneded (with the exception of the car yard sticker on the back of the car and the Tassie Devils in 5kn radius sticker)

I'm not shattered by this, but feel a little odd - a little out of my depth because I've no idea what it means to be South Australian - unlike Tasmanian... it's kinda odd not knowing anything about the place where you're living - I mean I don't even know who our local politicians are that we're meant to be voting for in a couple of weeks... it's a really surreal experience still - but we're learning and we WILL adapt and our Taswegian skin may be shed but deep down I know that we are Tasmanian born and bred - just no longer Tasmanian in address...

I guess what concerns me a little is that I know Tasmania, I've lived and breathed her, I'm an advocate for her - I want my kids to know their roots and know how lucky they are that they have ties to this gorgeous state and have known a different form of existance - I want them to remember Tasmania and growing up there, but I know that those memories will be distant as they grow up, and they will become faded and little sketches in the back of their heads - not vibrant and bright like my memories of living in and growing up in Tassie are... I guess they will make their own memories and possibly even grow to love SA in the way that I love Tassie... I guess I owe them the right to make their own memories and have them as bright and vibrant as mine... I owe them the right to love the way they are brought up - I mean, in reality It's not necessarily where a person grown up but who they are with that creates the best memories...

I know I'm struggling with something that can't change, something that is a given now and in all respects is a result of a decision I've made!!! I have to work hard to make sure no matter where we live, no matter what state we are in that they have the best memories of each and every day... I owe them that - and not to forget where they came from, they came from love, my family and yes, they were born in Tasmania - that is something I'll never let them escape from, but to keep it in perspective, they are Tasmanian, but ultimately they are also Australian and they are my children whom I love and adore and only want the best for!!!

1 comment:

Being Me said...

You know, if it helps you any at ALL... I have always had a very deep tie with SA. Never lived there, have always been a Melbourne girl. But my family (mother's parents & grandparents) settled in SA, after time in Perth, and I think it somehow comes from that. Each time I have been to SA - none of them are living now and I never visited anyone there, except once when I was 3! - I have felt so drawn to it, esp up the Flinders Ranges and the open farming country into the centre.

What I'm saying is, your kids will know those roots in Tas. I'm sure of it! Even their kids will, too, perhaps. If you go back to visit on holidays, that might make it even more special for them and help keep the connection/memories strong.

I think we all have a sense of where we belong :) And, just quietly, SA is a most adorable place. I love the stone masonry and the countryside. Am rather envious of you! Good luck settling in, I can't imagine how it must feel to up and relocate.