Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Another Aspie "moment"

This morning we had bedlam in the house....

To run up to the situation I should explain that the kids school had a renowned teen book illustrator (Craig Smith I believe - I'll confirm this when I'm suitably alert LOL) come to the school early this week. There was a master class where 30 students in the school would have a private session with him and to get into this master class they had to have their parents write a letter explaining the childs involvement in art, the child then also had to complete an answer as to why they like art and what art means to them and then they had to include 3 pieces of artwork to the application. From this (as I mentioned earlier) 30 students in the whole school were selected. My 3 older kids all applied... And William was lucky enough to be selected!! he was the youngest approved applicant and over the moon!!!

So on Tuesday William had his master class with Craig Smith and came home all excited that he had one of his own drawings autographed by the artist!!! it has been his prized possession and all Wil wanted to do was draw and draw and draw ever since!!!

So what is this moment I'm talking about???

Well Aleks has always loved art. He's not bad at it either, it's been a way for him to express himself, but when his little brother was accepted for this opportunity and not him he became very jealous. He missed the general class session with Craig Smith because he pulled a sickie on Tuesday - he didn't know that the classes were having general sessions until the next day when he found out that he had missed the opportunity once again...

So this morning at around 6.30am all i could hear was the boys screaming and fighting. William was inconsolable and it was all I could do to get him calm enough to find out what had happened. Aleks was was walking down the hallway to his bedroom, I could tell he was shutting down and no emotion in him at all. So we get out of William that Aleks took his autographed picture and had thrown it into the fire. It was gone :(

I've no idea where to go with this one. We were hoping that Craig Smith was going to be at the school again today so we could get another picture autographed, but no, he's already gone :( We've had absolutely nothing from Aleks in relation to what happened. It;s as though it never happened - he has however been trying to get William to take his art kits from him... so I know he understands he has done wrong and has some emotion about it all - I just wish at times that we could break down the brick wall that is around his emotive side and get through to him that he can't lash out and then shut down like this !!!

It's been a while since I've had to deal with him doing something like this.. He used to be quite viscous and hostile with his actions, he'd shut down and become very spiteful - with no emotions or anything of the like... it';s so hard to explain. But I saw this in Aleks again this morning.. I know there's not much we can do until we've ran the gamut of testing etc again through the school... but deep down it's shaken me... I thought we were past this non-responsive state... it looks like we can't be complacent with this at all anymore... Not only has he now shown the capability to destroy items again, but he's done this with a lit fire!!! this really scares me, if his sleeve caught alight what would happen whilst he's in a shut down state??? I just don't know...

He's getting so big too - he's taller than me now... I hate to think what he could do or how I would restrain him if I ever have to again.... I think I need to get back onto the school counselors to speed up this testing... I think we're going to need help and soon with Aleks - and especially for the other kids to cope if things to escalate, they can't ever feel they're being pushed aside and Aleks is being cossetted because of bad behaviour - they don't understand at the moment that Aleks is different, and that we're dealing with something even adults sometimes don't cope with - they don't need to be lumbered with this condition as well... it's not their fault!!! for that matter it's not Alek's fault either - it's no one's fault!!! We've been told things can get worse at puberty - I hope they don't get as bad as they were many years ago... I want my loving big boy to be happy, adjusted and comfortable in his own skin - I didn't think that was ever too much to ask.....

No comments: