Saturday, August 21, 2010

Foot in Mouth???

Do you ever feel like you're always saying the wrong thing or don't know what to say in social situations? Well that is me. I'm so socially awkward and unsure of myself it's been easier to avoid social situations rather than constantly feel like I'm so inept in something as simple as conversation. I often feel (even if it's not said or indicated) that I've said or done the wrong thing. Often I find that there's a funny little silence when I'm around as though no one knows what to say or do - myself mostly there too...

It could be me totally mis-reading the situation too... I know I can be sensitive to things like that...

But this evening someone we know recently lost a baby. She posted on a social networking site that she couldn't believe that she wasn't pregnant and wishing those who were pregnant that they have healthy babies. Anyways I (in my stupid non thinking way) went forward and commented, saying that she should be kind to herself, not feel any guilt and that we were thinking of her. She quickly came back with that she wasn't feeling any guilt and all is getting better... I think I could have offended her. I don't know to be certain, but I feel I've said the wrong thing to have her come back so quickly...

Anyhoos, this is my life. Trying to so the right thing, be supportive etc... let people have a shoulder to cry one and I so often feel I've not said or done the right thing, let alone offended people with stupid things like this.

I know my heart is in the right place. I really do care about my friends and family, I guess that I want them to know I'm here for them... but all too often foot in mouth syndrome kicks in!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh honey I wouldn't stress about it. She was probably just back online and responded quickly. Sounds like she's in a good place. I'm sure you haven't offended her.

Sue Plumb said...

I'm with Becci, I don't think it would have come across as offensive either. I believe I already know you well enough to know that you are an extremely kind and caring soul, and I am sure that your friend was grateful for your support and kind words. Don't be so harsh on yourself...do you need another whipping??? LOL
XXX

Katrina said...

thanks guys, I wish I could be so confident about myself :)

Hmm a whipping?? Maybe I need one to pull me out of this snarkiness I'm in at the moment LOL

Anonymous said...

Whip Whip Whippity Whip!

Anthea said...

Hmmm - I have the same problem sometimes, I mean well, but it comes out all wrong.

Maybe if you are worried that you have offended her you could ask her outright?

If she says yes - you could explain that you are sorry that your words were taken the wrong way and you were saying what you would of liked to have heard in the same situation (or whatever you feel)and just reiterate what you were trying to say the first time - that you are there for her.
If she says No. Well at least you have given her a chance to voice her feelings.

Hugs to you!

And if I have offended you by writing this - please say so.....;) xoxo

Katrina said...

thanks guys :)

Ant no, not offended **hugs** it's all good, putting it past me... just my stupid lack of self confidence etc.. nothing new for me LOL