Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Scare....

Last night I had no sleep - well I didn't get to put my head to pillow properly until 5am! We had 2 boys down with what I believe to be a touch of heatstroke. Dommy was the worst - I really thought it was going to be a trip to hospital.

Just as I was heading to bed and locking up the house, all the usual end of day still I hear him start to cry. I asked Nathan to go re-dummy him thinking that he'd just lost his dummy and was stirring but it didn't work... Nathan brought him into our bedroom and I could tell instantly he wasn't well :( As much as he was crying he was limp. His eyes were rolling in the back of his head and he just didn't move apart from to cry... he was soooo hot, yet not sweating....

I didn't think it was that hot a night but he had spent an energetic day out shopping with me, playing with the kids in the shed and out in the sun... I heard someone say we hit 36*C yesterday - and I've no doubt about that.. it was a stinking hot day and very humid... a draining kind of day...

I was trying to comfort Dommy when he stopped making any noise, I thought the worst (strange how mums do that) and tried to get a response from him... I noticed that he seemed to be choking, he had vomited and hadn't cleared his airways so once we turned him over and cleared his airways he started to cry again although still limp and lethargic :( He still vomited a little bit more and I made him take a drink of water... I poured water over him, head back etc etc... It drenched our bed but I didn't care... He was soooo hot - the inside of his little palms were burning my fingers where he was holding on!!!

It took about 5 minutes of cooling with water and forcing him to take sips of water before he started to come around... Whether he was half asleep or not I can't be sure but he really gave me a good scare!!! when we decided he was alert enough to move him he refused to go to Nathan - he was a mummy's boy LOL so Nathan had to change the sheets hehehe

Once we re-settled, Dommy in with us so I could monitor him I heard William a the other end of the house start complaining.... he was feeling unwell, headaches and a cramped foot. I settled him but 5 minutes later (just as I was starting to doze off) I heard him running up the hallway... He was sick too... but he made the toilet in time - this time around!! William was up and down all night with headaches and vomiting :( We had a couple of accidents along the ways - just more washing to add to the pile LOL but he was much more responsive than Dommy and pro-active in re-hydrating (thank goodness!!!)

So today I sit at home, trying to keep the house cool - putting off finishing out Christmas Puddings until later in the afternoon and keeping an eye on my little boys... I've never seen them so sick like this before - and Dommy really had me worrying!!!! When I stop and think about what happened it seemed that their bodies simply didn't cool themselves down. Aleks and Kahli and we were ok, but the little ones (yes William is little - there's nothing to him!!!) bodies just didn't seem to kick in and cool themselves down when the temp reduced. We're going to have to start a routine of cool showers/baths in the evening to kick this process off - we are after all only just in the beginning of summer, it's going to get much hotter than this in the days, weeks, months ahead!!!

Oh and in case anyone was wondering, Dommy is his normal self today (along with some purple smudges under his eyes) he's super energetic and happy playing hide and see in an old packing box....



William hasn't pulled up so well, he's got headaches and listless today.... We're pumping him full of fluid and keeping an eye on him again...

1 comment:

E. said...

I hope the boys are doing much beeter now and that you managed to get soem rest.