Saturday, April 3, 2010

'Twas the Night Before Easter....



'Twas the night before Easter, at the Bricknell house


all the creatures were stirring, yes even the mouse;

The boxes were all stacked near the door with little care,

Knowing that soon the removalists would be there;

The children were grumbling tucked in sleeping bags on their beds,

telling scary stories to get in each others heads;

And mamma, though exhausted still found more things to pack

Whist daddy snuck down to the bedroom for a nap,

When out on the street there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.

The moon shone quite brightly being all shiny and new

It's rays did sparkle on the settling evening dew,

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

Was a white little bunny with long floppy ears,

He held in his arms a basket that was laden with gifts,

and he looked right at me and his eyebrow he did lift.

His whiskers they trembled with obvious delight,

As he danced right before me on this illuminated night.

"Now, I know that you are moving and very very soon!"

Said the cheeky little bunny saluting the moon.

He danced to the porch, and waltzed to the wall!

He would have tangoed to the door, if not tripping over a ball!

As dry leaves danced with him, in his path they did fly,

he pirouetted right in front of me,

his little paws circling the moon in the sky,

He looked at me with delight and asked "Would you like to dance too?"

And then, in a twinkling, he spun and he turned,

He twisted and jumped, in his eyes mischief did burn.

For this bunny had a secret, and to only me did he tell,

that he knew that happy we would be in our new town where we will dwell.

Bunny had a talent, A serious knack

Of knowing about people and the courage they lacked.

He could see right inside me and took the fear I had inside,

And turned it into excitement, a delight I couldn't hide.

My eyes shone like his and I had a quiver in my belly,

As I stepped out to dance with him I could hear the news on the telly

It was warning of things that could happen on a night just like this,

How magic can take over and fill your heart full of bliss.

As I examined my new friend with the gleaming white teeth

And his rosy red cheeks, and his definite air of mischief.

He had a broad face and a little round belly,

That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.

There was no way on earth that he could move with any stealth,

And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,

Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;

He hid bright coloured eggs in all sorts of spots;

Then all of a sudden he bounded to a stop.

And giving a nod, and a whip of his ear;

He turned up up the street and from there disappeared.

His tail bouncing in the moonlight was the last I did see

Of this visitor I had who filled my heart with expectant glee.

But did I hear him exclaim, from the shadows of the night,

"Happy Easter to all, and to all a good-night."


2 comments:

Kakka said...

Loved it. Happy Easter to you too.

E. said...

Very nice. Happy Easter.