Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The reality is....

I don't know why I even entertained the thought that I might be able to turn my passion into a profession/job - I think I just had my bubble popped....


I posted on a forum that I've been approached by some friends to do some photo's for payment for them and asking when do you know when it is the right time to start floating the idea and moving forward with turning your hobby into a business... Well I have been told (by another professional photographer on that forum) that my photo's are lacking in composition, their processing and exposure is hit and miss - oh and to keep working at it.. it might work one day...

I didn;t once state that I was a professional photographer or am at that stage, Just how do you know when and how to start and get the courage to express an interest to build a portfolio etc... I don';t know, I mean maybe if this was sent to be privately I might have been reacting a bit different, but to have this said in a public forum kinda stings... I wasn't asking this person to critique my images...and what's with her stating that and not following up on what she means lacking in composition etc etc... Actually I may have the wording a bit skewed... I'm probably over reacting.. Ive been told I've been overreacting a bit of late - sorry but stress tends to do that to a person... And no, I wasn't posting for pats on the back etc.. for honest opinions about when and why etc.... I didn't expect to be critiqued in public!!!

Anyhoos - needed to get that vent off my chest....

Maybe I will never realise my dream of being a photographer.. maybe all I'm good for is snap shots and dreaming... I don't know... Maybe I need a tougher skin too...

3 comments:

Melinda said...

I agree about stress, it comes out in all sorts of ways, like over reacting and so on. From reading your blog I know you are bright and sensitive, so try not to let that person bring you down.

Jen said...

The problem with posting on a forum where there are professional photographers posting is that they are more willing (from what I have seen over the last 4 years) to put you down instantly. It is almost a cliche situation, with rules as to how much you have done and when they deem you are allowed to call yourself a professional.

The best advice I read once was that when you can take 50 photos and at least 35-40 are terrific and need little work then you can think of yourself as being near professional.

The way I see it is that you need to take photos of many different people in order to develop as a photographer. So take the work offered by friends but if it makes you feel more confortable then give them a disclaimer that you are only starting out and will do the best you can for them..etc.

Have fun portfolio building :) . At the end of the day that person cannot determine your success, only you can so believe in yourself and there is no way that you can fail with taking these photos :) .

People would not have asked you if your photography didn't inspire them :)

Katrina said...

Thankyou so much guys :) I've taken the plunge and am exploring where photography will take me - so far everyone seems more than pleased with my work and I can honestly say that I don't think anyone is doing similar work to me in this area - which is a positive... I don;t know if it will be a sustainable business venture for me, but I can only try ;)